Monday, October 24, 2016

Headed South in Cold and Rain

Heavy rain in
New Gloucester
Hot oatmeal and coffee quickly became
our staples.
So, the weather has not been great so far. The night before we left from Spring Point Marina in South Portland, the skies opened up. That's me with my first set of clothes soaked. We set off the next am before sunrise (sun?) in thick fog. The seas were rolling, and the fog only occasionally lifted, but thanks to bonine and my anti nausea wrist bands, it was only my anxiety level that was effected.  Bill, of course, was cool. At least that's how he acted. We got into Gloucester Harbor and took off for the dock in our dinghy.  That's when the skies opened up again. I admit I was pouty. Sorry, Bill, I promise I will get my sea legs.  Back on the boat, and now most of the rest of our clothes were wet. To top things off, our heat was not working. Rain, gale winds and cold, but at least we were on a secure mooring for the night. Yesterday am we headed off for Plymouth, Mass. Ok, no laughing matter, this was perhaps one of the most frightening experiences
of my life (so far!). Gale winds > sturdy little boat. I wish I had pics, but it's hard to capture. Check out the movie Perfect Storm.  Slight exaggeration, but that's what it looked like to me! Even Bill wasn't too happy. We cut our day short and pulled into Salem Harbor. We had a lovely day in Salem. We saw many witches, Bill got the heat working, we were able to dry our clothes in the sunny, windy weather and off we go again this morning. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You are getting the hard part out of the way! I'd be pouty in that weather too! Getting your sea legs takes more than a day or two! Enjoy the warmth as you move further south.

      Delete
  2. OMG!! What a way to start your journey!! I give you soooo much credit, Molly. You are a real trooper and then some! I would have been more than just pouty!


    ReplyDelete
  3. What an epic adventure! Keep writing, Molly. I will keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear of the rough start, maybe a sign of better voyage ahead! On a positive note, Salem nice place to lay low for the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to figure out this blogging! My post entered as unknown!

      Delete